Thursday, March 6, 2008

How much Kimchee can one family eat??

I don't know...but I think our family is on a mission to find out.

When Oma/Halmoni arrived in mid january we went shopping for some Korean groceries. She offered to make some kimchee, so I said sure...that would be great...anything Oma makes is delicious. Thinking how nice it would be to have a couple of jars of kimchee in the outside fridge. (we restorted to fridge number 2 when we realized Oma was coming and we'd want to store the korean food outside), we loaded up the car and headed to the 'nearest' asian market.

anway, near the end of January, we purchased 70pounds of Nappa Cabbage....

Yes.

you read that right.

70 pounds.


Of Cabbage.

Obviously more than a few jars worth.

Oma quickly went to work making kimchee.



She washed and she salted and she rinsed and she chopped and she sliced and she mixed and mixed and mixed....all of it together in what really looks like a baby pool but what every self respecting Korean person would call a kimchee bowl:



We were thrilled to have many many ziploc bags of Oma's kimchee tucked away in our refrigerator. So happy that we ate and ate and ate it. We had cabbage soup, kimchee soup, kimchee rice and plain ol' kimchee. Alot. Yum.


And now.

Today. Just one short month later.....

We bought 50 more pounds of Nappa.

We are down to our last ziploc bag of the greatest side dish ever made. So Oma has begun again. just 4 or 5 short weeks after she began...she is repeating herself. Tomorrow the salting, the rinsing, the chopping, the mixing...all in the baby pool, er I mean the kimchee bowl.

Ahhhh....can life get much sweeter..or should i say spicier???

6 comments:

Rach said...

nice try if you think you're going to get me to eat that when i come. as of now i'm on a strict "hotdog and pizza" diet... sorry to dissapoint you. ;)

:) rach

Jen said...

Hhmmm... I'm sure that nice, polite daughter of mine in the comment above meant to say, "I'm grateful for whatever is served to me, since I'll be a guest in your home, sweet Mrs. Nam."

Yes... I'm SURE that's what she meant to type.

However, I must confess - I was wondering if we'd get the "joy" of partaking in Oma's kimchee. LOL

I'm just saying...

Anonymous said...

yum!

Maw Maw said...

Say Ashley,

Bring some home when you come. Reja looks terrific - my best to you all - come on home before we move.... ; )

Love to all,
Maw-maw

Rach said...

Mrs. Nam knows me too well. If i said, "I'm grateful for whatever is served to me, since I'll be a guest in your home, sweet Mrs. Nam.", then she would know i was lying (not about the "sweet mrs. nam" part, just the "i'll eat it" part). she knows that lots of stuff makes my stomach turn. (i am forever grateful for being excused from dissections...:-D)

michele and girls said...

okay... i just can't get past the smell...