Sunday, September 2, 2007

Hairdryers

Today was my family's first Sunday at Sovereign Grace Church. It was strange to be walking into a church as a guest. Back home, I knew most everybody and I met guests and gave them "welcome packets" and shook their hand. But, today, I was the "new girl" and the one who didn't know anyone. Everyone was very nice and I was introduced to fifty thousand people. No joke! :) We went out to lunch with a bunch of church people at In-N-Out for a burger.

Then, we came home and showed the Mackay's (a really great family...four girls! Yes!) our house and One Cent. The grown-ups talked and talked and TALKED, so us kids played Speed Scrabble and stuff like that. For dinner, we went to Cyprus Pita Grill for Greek food, then to Coldstone Creamery for ice cream. Whew! What a full day of...eating! :)

The temperature continues to amaze me! 97 degrees Fahrenheit this morning at 9:15am. I'm getting used to the heat, but it is still like walking into a hairdryer. I miss everyone back home! :(

By the way, One Cent learned to swim yesterday. She was very cautious about the pool, but also very very curious. When the whole family was swimming and splashing and doing stuff that a family of six does, she stepped cautiously onto the second step. And froze. She wouldn't move. She looked at us like, "What do I do? I'm trying not to FREAK OUT!" Finally, I dragged the poor thing out and she ran around the yard, looking for a patch of grass. Finding only rocks and dirt, One Cent slapped herself onto the cement, hurt herself, rolled around, got up, ran in circles, chased her tail, and went completely bananas.

Later, One Cent got so excited that we were all in the pool that she stuck her two front legs into the deep end of the pool. Of course, she slipped in. What did that highly intelligent mammal do? She froze! Turned to fifty pounds of lead! I had to haul her up by her armpits. I plunked her on the step. Hey, is that a spongy ball floating by? There that dog goes again! Half drowning, she flounders to the ball. Mom tries to hold her up and drag her back to the step. But, no, sink or swim, One Cent must have that ball. Finally, she gets hold of it and tries to jump out. After getting too hyper and scraping her leg, she manages to get onto the pool deck, with the ball. Until the boys snag it from her. Poor dog.

Until tomorrow,

Twinkle

5 comments:

Unknown said...

She was a stitch in the pool...along with all the other newbies to Arizona!

Rach said...

now tell me, is your pool actually cold? Last time I went to Arizona the pools felt like hot tubs... :)

Love you and miss you... :) rachie

Caitlin Cooney said...

Hey Nams-

I miss you guys! I can't believe school starts tomorrow! Do you like having a pool in your backyard? Keep me posted.

Love,

Caitlin <3

michele and girls said...

aren't labs water dogs? glad your getting settled in- sounds like the church is wonderful.

Jessica said...

Welcome to the west, Nams!! I hope you all are loving it. If you make it all the way west (San Diego), we would love to see you guys!!
Love,
Jess Aveni (nee Mordente)